Fire Log

The Fire Log lists all fire-related incidents in residence halls the past three years. 

No report of fire in a residence hall after February 25, 2017.

Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 11:16
Case 170151, Buchanan Droke Residence Hall
A grease fire occurred on the stove top while cooking. One student was injured and was transported for medical attention.  Property damage estimated at less than $100.00. Category: Unintentional Fire, Cooking.
Case Status: Closed

Monday, February 20, 2017 at 00:45
Case 170141, Phi Delta Theta Fraternity House
A burning candle was left unattended on a table. A backpack laying under the table ignited and burned. No one was injured. Property damage estimated at $3,000.00.  Unintentional Fire, Open Flame.
Case Status: Closed

Friday, June 17, 2016 at 18:28
Case 160536, Founders Hall
While moving items into the apartment of the new Coordinator of Residence Education a box left on the stove top ignited and burned. The sprinkler system extinguished the fire. Appliances and walls nearby were damaged. The apartment sustained smoke and water damage. No one was injured. Property damage estimated at $5,500.00. Category: Unintentional Fire, Other (Cardboard box left of stove top).
Case Status:  Closed

Monday, June 13, 2016 at 21:45
Case 160521, Duncan Avenue Apartments
A grease fire occurred on the stove top while cooking. No injuries were reported. Fire extinguishers were used to extinguish the fire. Property damage estimated at $2,000.00.  Category: Unintentional Fire, Cooking.
Case Status:  Closed

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 16:03
Case 160333, Pomfret Hall
University Police and Fayetteville Fire Department responded to a fire alarm and discovered a fire in a restroom. Paper towels had been set ablaze.  The room sustained smoke damage and the wall above the paper towels was scorched. No one was injured. Property damage estimated at $5000.00. Category:  Intentional Fire, Arson.
Update: Tuesday 02/21/17
A warrant was issued Monday 06/13/16 and the suspect was arrested Monday 08/29/16 at 14:58.
Case Status: Closed By Arrest

Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 18:53
Case 160164, Northwest Quad B Building
Food cooking in a microwave overheated and burned while the microwave was unattended in  a kitchen in Northwest Quad B Building.  The microwave was damaged.  No one was injured.  Property damage estimated at $250.00.  Category:  Unintentional Fire, Cooking.
Case Status:  Closed

Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 17:57
Case 150967, Humphreys Hall
A lint trap in a clothes dryer in the laundry room overheated and melted setting off the fire alarm.  The lint trap was destroyed.  No one was injured.  Property damage estimated at $50.00.  Category: Unintentional Fire, Heating Equipment.
Case Status:  Closed

Thursday, November 12, 2015 at 16:34
Case 150952, Duncan Avenue Apartments
A grease fire occurred on the stove top while cooking.  A student received burns to her right hand and left arm.  The sprinkler system above the stove extinguished the fire.  Property damage estimated at $3000.00.  Category:  Unintentional Fire, Cooking.
Case Status:  Closed

Saturday, May 09, 2015 at 03:54
Case 150464, Northwest Quad C Building
An electrical outlet malfunctioned and ignited cardboard boxes in close proximity to the outlet in the basement Mechanical Room.  The boxes and the outlet burned. No one was injured.  Property damage estimated at $100.00.  Category:  Unintentional Fire, Electrical.
Case Status:  Closed

Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 17:22
Case 141009, Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity House
A candle was left unattended on a home-made plywood table.  A fleece jacket on the table was destroyed.  No damage to table.  No one was injured.  Property damage estimated at $40.00.  Category:  Unintentional Fire, Open Flame.
Case Status:  Closed

There were no fire incidents in residence halls in 2013. 

Questions or comments can be directed to the Public Information Officer, Captain Gary Crain, at 479-575-2311 or garyc@uark.edu. If unavailable, secondary contact is Captain Matt Mills at 479-713-8085 or mrmills@uark.edu.